Herberton is situated at 918 m (3,012 ft) altitude on the Great Dividing Range south-west of Atherton.
Vegetation ranges from tropical rainforest to the east, wet sclerophyll forests to the north and east and open sclerophyll forests and woodlands to the north and west.
Several crops are grown around Herberton, and it is a mini salad bowl with crops including avocados, lettuce, tomatoes, maize and pumpkins . Herberton's public hospital and the private school, Mt Saint Bernard residential college, are other major employers in the town.
Herberton is the oldest town on the Atherton Tablelands and is often referred to as the Village in the Hills.
At its apogee, Herberton was the richest tin mining field in Australia, and was home to 17 pubs, 2 local newspapers and a brewery. Tin mining ceased in Herberton in 1985.
The first European exploration of this area was undertaken in 1875 by James Venture Mulligan. Mulligan was prospecting for gold, but instead found tin . The town of Herberton was established on 19 April 1880 by John Newell to exploit the tin find, and mining began on 9 May. By the September of that year, Herberton had a population of 300 men and 27 women. Herberton Post Office opened on 22 November 1880. In December 1881 a State School was established.
In the late 19th century the highway was carved through the hills from Herberton and passed through what is now Main Street, Atherton, before continuing down to Port Douglas. This road was used by the coaches of Cobb and Co to access Western Queensland.
A Heritage Walk for tourists that takes in some of the old buildings and historical features of the town is a popular attraction.
Historic Village Herberton is a 16-acre, re-creation of the town during the tin mining era, with exhibits such as vintage machinery, cars and Australian antiques. It has more than 50 restored period buildings.
The Spy and Camera Museum houses antique spy cameras, a photographic gallery and photographic memorabilia with guided tours through the museum and a working photographer and photographic studio
The Tepon Equestrian Grounds just out of Herberton have recently been upgraded with a large undercover pavilion for equestrian and other sporting events such as cycling and mountain biking.
Local markets are held on the 3rd Sunday of every month at the Wondecla Oval.
Links to sponsors, affiliates and other sites of interest
Misty Mountains Quilts is an established local business for anyone interested in this craft.
Boutique Power specialises in renewable energy, solar, wind and hydro.